Monday, March 13, 2017

2017 Lutz, Get Out Round 1 Anton Taylor, 1928 - Bradley Charles, 1545 Caro-Kann, Panov-Botvinnik Attack (B13)

2017 Lutz, Get Out Round 1 
Anton Taylor, 1928 - Bradley Charles, 1545 
Caro-Kann, Panov-Botvinnik Attack (B13)

1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. exd5 cxd5 4. c4 e6 5. Nc3 Nf6 6. Nf3 Bb4 7. Bd2 Nc6 8. Rc1 This is the move I had done some home preparation in this line with. I like this classic sort of development and lkeaving the tension. The common moves in the position are cxd5 and a3 leading to general liquidation and no hope for anything but equality. I prefer something else. There is a little trap here as well if the opponent looks to win a pawn (as my opponent here does) 8. ... dxc4? 9. Bxc4 Allowing White to get ahead in development might even be worth almost a pawn here even if the pawn weren't complete poison. 9. ... Nxd4? 10. Nxd4 Qxd4 11. Qa4+ Nd7 When I saw this move I realized an even further mistake my opponent was getting ready to make. 12. Qxb4 Ne5?? 13. Bb5+ 1-0 Black had enough and threw in the towel. I had a long chat with the young man about the Caro-Kann in general and as is normal after a loss like this he was disheartened. I told him about some older games on this blog where I lost similarly horribly against the Panov. That seemed to help him a little. 

Not a bad first test of Rc1 but also not a challenge to the move. This means I will have to play it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment